Sunday, January 28, 2007

Once more a nomad...

I have once more become a nomad and moved out of 41 Bennett Street yesterday, although not far, as I am literally around the corner from the North Fitzroy crew. Last week after more house hunting, Marta decided to become my estate agent and phoned her friend Matt, who lives round the corner and we went round for tea. Yay! A decent flat, close to the tram, one lovely cat called Molly, and Matt who is a lawyer / musician. My room is small but rent is super cheap so I am saving loads of cash for travelling.

Australia day dawned brightly and Ram and I set off for Ikea in Richmond - I did not know what I was getting myself into and if it wasn't for Ram's moral support I would have run out screaming and would have happily slept of the floor for the next two months. They have designed the store as a maze so you are literally trapped in there for hours. I almost killed some brats in the kitchen department when they decided to set off all the egg timers, forcing the 20 babies in the near vacinity to start screaming and their parents were totally oblivious. Other brats blocked the isles screaming at their parents because ther were no toys to play with. We eventually made it to the self service warehouse, were you collect your furniture which you have chosen from one of the desplay areas, when someone stoll my trolly with my coded piece of paper! Sob! I couldn't face it, but it was propably because Ram and I had taken a break and were racing down desserted warehouse isles on our other trolly! Oh well, I eventually found some one to help me and then just gave up and grabbed a futon. Much easier and lighter. After finally paying for everything and escaping 3 hours later, I was ready to take up smoking, hypoglucimic and dazed by sunshine after all the flourencent lighting. Needless to say we had to go out for a drink that evening and unsuccessfully attempted to celebrate Australia day by finding some berry palvova icecream.

Yesterday was moving day, which consisted of three of us carrying my things round to St Georges St, Tally carrying my bed base in her shopping trolly and me with my matress on my sholder. We were accosted by an Aussie shelia, in a sweat pants suit, with paroxided hair, swigging brandy and cola from a tin and walking a maltese poodle. She shouted at us from across the road, demanding to know where the blokes were to carry my stuff. Well the blokes were not needed as Tal and I assembled my bed and sorted everything out and I have blisters on my hands to prove it!

1 comment:

Craigasaurus said...

IKEA- the place to spend a lazy sunday. Walking the aisles brings back memories of quiet picnics, long walks on the beach and puppies