Friday, January 05, 2007

Back to reality in Melbourne

Happy New Year to you all and I hope you had a fabulous party where ever you may have been around the globe! Judging from most of the photos that I have seen, it seems like most people got into the swing of things and had fun. We had a barbi at the Petrie's house on New Year's eve with a bunch of Greg's frineds, all engineers and very nice people. We then watched the fire works across the harbour and carried on drinking bubbles and dancing at the house. The rest of my time in Sydney was spent visting the zoo, which has resulted in me doing a lot of research into the local wild life, which included spiders much to Tal's dismay. The highlight was went two ring tailed possums came to visit us on New Year's eve - in the middle of our barbi - an a kookaburra having a fight with a magpie and eating lizards!

The koala bears at the zoo were also very sweet.

I also spend time on the beach, exploring some more of the city and museums and spent a day at Sydney University (which is a copy of Edinburgh University), finding out about biotech and the different programs which they offer. It was also good to spend the last two days in New Town as it is a very different area to than of the North Shore. New Town is quite like Melbourne in some ways as there are lost of little shops and small cafes lining the streets, and apart from some really strange ladies trying to chat to me and offer me biscuits (?), and one wanted me to move a cupboard, it seems like a nice side of the city. Spending time with Greg was cool, as he showed my round the city and took me to his favorite resturants, despite mehaving to make him tea while he wrote up his thesis and putting up with his grumpiness. He decided that it would be a good idea to quit drinking coffee on the second day that I was there - I soon put an end to that nonsense because by twelve he was a pain in the neck, was wingeing and the magic pink pills weren't even touching sides. As a result I got bought a freshly made cappachino every morning - just what I need on holiday!

Well I arrived back in Melbourne two days ago feeling rather flu-ish. Thank goodness for Jewish penicillin, as Tal's chicken soup worked miricals and Lieu forcing me to drink ginger "the Vietnamese elixer of life" has made me feel a lot better. After spending yesterday in bed, I ventured out of the house despite the heat today, only to feel like I had entered a boiling hot oven, as I openned the front door (it was still 36 degrees at 11pm last night). Needless to say, the highlight of my day was visiting the frozen food isle in the local supermarket... Tomorrow I will venture further afeild as I head down to Polyester, a music store where I hope to buy tickets to see the Hot Chip, Yo La Tengo and will try to track down some tickets to see the Killers some how! I am very excited!

I am in the process of trying to get my life sorted out at the moment as I need to find some where to stay for the next few months and have begun looking for recruitment agencies and for jobs. Thankfully again, Tal has done this all before and so has been very helpful. I suppose it is back to the real work as I will need some cash before I set off on my next adventure!

2 comments:

Craigasaurus said...

Hi

Would be very jealous if you went to the killers- was sold out here in twenty minutes. What was the koala bears name?

Alex said...

Craigasorous! I named him Craig the Koala after you of course! Well I don't know if I can get tickets, but if it will make you green with evny, then I will have to try.