Thursday, February 08, 2007

South East Asia here I come…

Well I booked my ticket to Thailand this morning and head off after Easter with Greg! The rough plan at the moment is to spend three weeks exploring the islands and beaches after a few days in Bangkok, and then head up to Chang Mai to see the temples, do a cooking course and explore the jungle. Afterwards I will continue on to Cambodia, seeing Ankor as I continue towards the coast and then to South Vietnam. From the Mekong Delta I will travel up the coast to the North and then across to Laos and the mountains. Finally I will leave Vientiane and head back through north Thailand to fly out of Bangkok in mid July.

I have bought the guide books and some maps and read a new chapter each day on the tram to work. As a result I am spending more and more time planning my holiday and adventures. Greg came to Melbourne this weekend and on Sunday after exploring the sculpture garden and seeing a few exhibitions at the National Gallery we headed off to Richmond for the Lunar Festival and street market. Despite it being incredibly hot, we survived and ate rice pancakes with shrimps, soft shelled crab and delicious beef with star anise grilled in beetle leaves.
I have also booked flights to Tasmania and will spend the Easter weekend driving round the island exploring one of the most beautiful places in Australia (so I have been told) before I head off to Asia

1 comment:

Craigasaurus said...

your trip sounds like it will be amazing. Chaing Mai is a wonderful city- Bangkok is a bit of a treat for the senses. Miss you loads. Craig